Monday, March 31, 2008

Majestic Eagles


It's a beautiful "blue sky and sunshine" Sunday afternoon late in February, and I and my camera are aboard the River Quest for an Eagle Watch cruise. Within minutes of departing from the dock we saw our first eagles. Several were sharing a midday meal along the bank of the CT river. Shortly after that we enjoyed watching the aerial acrobatics of a pair mirroring each other's moves in an airborne dance of gliding and soaring. On both banks of the river eagles were perched on bare-branched tree tops, surveying their surroundings and all that passed by. Every now and again more eagles mirrored and soared overhead. On the last leg of our cruise we passed an eagle's nest, with mother sitting on recently laid eggs, and the father a tree top sentinel on watch nearby. In between seeing the eagles we also saw many cormorants, mergansers, sea gulls and swans. As we returned to dock our captain commented that this cruise had the best sightings of the season thus far.

Many years ago I was surprised to learn that Bald Eagles come down from Canada and winter along the southern part of the CT river, where the water does not freeze and they can find food.

The CT Audubon Society hosts an annual Eagle Festival Weekend in the middle of February, with eagle watch cruises and self-guided land tours. From mid January to mid March the Audubon Shop, in Madison, offers guided eagle watch land tours on select Saturdays, and River Quest, departing from the CT River Museum dock in Essex CT, offers Eagle Quest cruises with naturalists on board to offer valuable guidance and information. Even binoculars are provided.

Early in February I was at the CT River Museum to make Eagle Quest cruise arrangements for some of our guests who had made reservations for our Eagle Watch Escape. While there, I took the opportunity to set a date and buy a ticket for myself at last. 'It's about time,' I thought. ... Now, having been there and done that, I can honestly say, "I'm so glad I did."

For next year I'll have to book myself on a seal-watch cruise when the seals come to play along the CT coast in March.

No comments: