Monday, March 31, 2008

Have you seen the orchards in bloom?

Have you ever seen an orchard when all the fruit trees are in bloom? It's a spectacular sight to behold, and one that shouldn't be missed.

This is a very special time of year, and it's a short window of opportunity. If you've missed it, you've missed it ... until next year, when it all happens once again.

Fruit blossom time here in CT happens around the first week of May, give or take a week on either side. Pink and white blossoms cover the fruit trees, as far as the eye can see. Walk among them and be filled with the fragrance of the blossoms - apple, pear, peach, and more.

I love to drive around with the car windows open, and the roof open too, to see all the trees in bloom. When I can't get to an orchard, I'll drive around the neighborhoods to see all the residential ornamental trees in bloom. This is more than eye candy. This is a sight that renews. I think I've taken more photos of spring tree blossoms than of any other flower anywhere, ever.

This year I plan to find places to picnic under the blossoms. Lyman Orchards offers a "Great Orchard Getaway" that's just what I'm looking for. Chamard Vineyard also offers picnic box lunches to enjoy in the vineyard or on their deck overlooking it all. Both need to be booked ahead, and both are available rain or shine.

We all think of enjoying the countryside in the autumn, to enjoy foliage and the bounty of the harvest. Long before those colors and long before those fruits comes Spring and the splendor of their blossoms.

I've gone ahead and planned a great two-night orchard blossom escape for you. Hope to see you here.

2 comments:

womantalk said...

Hi Victoria,
My name is Jeannie Lee and I'm the writer from ILoveInns.com who will be writing "A Perfect Day in Madison," which I see now will have to be in the first two weeks of May!
I'd like to interview you informally over the phone in the next week, if that's okay.
Please email me: jeannie(at)womantalk(dot)org
Thanks!
Jeannie
www.womantalk.org

Unknown said...

Interesting article. Like reading through it. Beth www.iflorist.co.uk