Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Red Chair Diaries at the Tidewater Inn - II

 Dear Diary,


Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - Part 1:
     What a full day! I never knew you could do so very much in so very little time. I'm guessing it's because everything's so nearby and easy to get to. Victoria had made a list of places and things she thought I'd like to see and do. We took off right after enjoying an amazingly delicious breakfast. I met some other guests this morning, and they made me promise to come back tonight to tell them all about my adventures.

     I've been hearing about a CT lobster roll - warm lobster chunks and butter stuffed into a split-top toasted hot-dog bun or a toasted burger bun. All the best of a lobster without the work, and oh so tasty! No mayo or chilled lobster here. On the CT shore an authentic lobster roll is warm, toasty and buttery. One of the best places to get one is at Lobster Landing in Clinton. Situated waterside, the lobster practically jumps out of the water and onto your plate. It was too early for lunch, so this was just a picture stop. This place is so cute! You can be sure I'm going to enjoy one of those lobster rolls before my visit here is over though.

Blending in ...

     We continued on our way, destination Essex, when we went on a bunny trail to the Pink Sleigh, a Christmas shop in Westbrook and right on our way. We had a mission: find a pickle ornament to give as a memento of her stay at the Tidewater Inn to a guest from Germany. Now you know I couldn't just stay in the car and wait. Out I jumped and went inside to see what this shop was all about. Lo and behold, I felt right at home! Red is so my color, as you can see, and I could blend right in. "Looking Good," I thought. Don't you agree?


The Turtle - 1st Submarine

     That done, we continued on to the CT River Museum in Essex. Here I was so surprised to see, and sit inside of (!), the Turtle, the world's first ever submarine. Ok, it's not the real one, but a life-size reproduction, and cut away so that kids of all ages, like me, can sit inside and try out some of the controls.

     What's also amazing to me is that just 20 minutes east on I-95, in Groton CT, you can go and see the world's first Nuclear submarine, the Nautilus! We didn't get to go there this time, but I've put it on my list of what to do when I come back some day. Then I want to see both of these on the same day. That's going to be awesome!

Old Lyme Ice Cream Shopp
 
"Carpe Cre'em"

   Ok, by now we were hungry for some lunch, and we were on our way to Old Lyme for our next adventure. It was just natural to stop at the Old Lyme Ice Cream Shoppe. Oh, don't worry, we had something healthy before indulging in their wonderful home-made ice cream. Actually, it was the best, most bacon-filled BLT ever! Victoria encouraged me to try a new ice cream flavor, new for me anyway - Morrocan Delight. Sooooo Goooood ... Dates, pistachios, orange rind, other good stuff, honey perhaps?


   So far the theme of the day has been cute, cute, cute. Irresistible. Just had to show you this pic. Ice Cream Cone made of pavers too!


    Just up the street is the Florence Griswold Museum, home of American Impressionism. I couldn't wait to see the Florence Griswold House, where the artists lived, and just for fun, perhaps to pass the time, they painted on the wooden door and wall panels of the first floor. Can you imagine that! All of these now famous artists leaving behind a legacy of their work for all of us to enjoy. Here I am in two photos in the dining room where most of the work is found.

     There are beautifully planted perrenial and rose gardens around the Florence Griswold House and around the museum gallery building, and this time of year, as the foliage gives way to the soil the Wee Faerie Village comes alive and visible.

    I'll tell you more about the Wee Faerie Village and the rest of my day's adventures in part 2 of Day 2, Wednesday, October 10, 2012.




No comments: