Monday, April 25, 2011

Clam Chowder ... What's Your Favorite?

     Clam chowder ... mmmmm ... makes me think of seashore, blue skies, sunshine ... or warmth, comfort, dinner by the fireside ... So many pleasures associated with this simple and simply delicious fare.

     White, Clear, Red ... New England, Rhode Island, Manhattan ... three choices, all delicious, right? But wait a minute.  It's not so very simple.  I've discovered at least 4 choices here on the CT shoreline, and looking to our neighbors to the East or West, a couple more! OK, I admit I'm a bit particular when it comes to what I consider to be iconic foods, and living in CT and enjoying all of New England, I consider Clam Chowder to be such an item. So, of course, this discovery bears talking about.

     To begin with, I believe there are two kinds of New England Clam Chowder: the traditional, old-fashioned kind, call quohog chowder on Cape Cod menus, starts out clear brothed and a touch of either milk or cream is added just before serving, for sweetness: like the kind you get locally at Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale and many other CT seashore restaurants.  Then there's what I personally call contemporary or nouvelle New England Clam Chowder.  That's the thick and creamy kind I've heard referred to as "Chowda" by my Boston friends.  This is offered at many other fine restaurants along the CT shoreline. 

     Now, imagine my surprise a couple of summers ago when I read "North Carolina Clam Chowder" on the menu at Boom in Westbrook.  When I asked, my server explained that it was like New England Clam Chowder, in that it was thick and creamy, but it was made with Sweet Potatoes.  I just had to try it, so intrigued was I, and I can tell you it's absolutely delicious.  I discerned a bit of fresh red pepper bits too. Delightful.  I came home and looked it up online, and sure enough, it's a type of clam chowder, in an of itself, and though it has as many variations as there are chefs (just like all the other chowders), the common themes are: think and creamy, sweet potatoes, fresh red pepper bits. Now why would I be surprised at finding out about a North Carolina Clam Chowder?! With Hatteras and the Outer Banks, and more ...

     OK. That was then, and now is now, and I just can't find the exact online writeup about North Carolina Clam Chowder that I read back then anywhere, no matter what I search for.  The recipes for clam chowders with sweet potatoes are easy to find, though, so if you can't wait until you come to the CT shoreline to enjoy it at Boom, you can try your hand at making it at home.

     Getting back to our foray into the varieties of clam chowder, let's not forget Rhode Island Clam chowder.  Clear brothed and flavorful, and frequently offered on CT shoreline menus as a second clam chowder choice.  My personal favorite is at the Sandpiper restaurant in East Haven. Right across from the beach, it's the perfect setting for chowder, clear or milky.
  
     So, imagine my surprise again, when I discovered that Rhode Island has two clam chowders too!  The second kind is tomato based, with the traditional potatoes, onion and clams, but no chunks of tomato or other veggies.  This version of RI clam chowder came from the Portugese community, is sometimes called clam stew, and can be a bit spicy from the addition of sausage and seasonings.  I have yet to find this version on a CT shoreline menu, but I'll keep looking.  Perhaps if I try someplace closer to the RI border? From here that's not very far at all.

     Speaking of red clam chowders, Manhattan Clam Chowder is what immediately comes to mind.  I've seen it described as tomato vegetable soup with clams.  Traditionally not spicy, and yes there are other veggies and chunks of tomato, it's also been called Coney Island Clam Chowder and Fulton Market Clam chowder.  This too I have yet to see on a menu in our CenterShore part of the CT shoreline (East of New Haven, up to the CT River), but I'll keep searching on your behalf. So many great restaurants, so little time ...

   Searching online you'll find Wikipedia talks about a few other types of clam chowders as well.  As far as I know from dining around the CT shoreline, the Delaware, Hatteras (white potatoes) and Minorcan are not available here, so we'll leave those out of this discussion for now.  Great recipes for all types are available online.  Happy hunting. Oh, and be sure to let me know of any CT Shoreline restaurants whose clam chowders you think I should try for you.

   Whatever your favorite clam chowder, may you always find enjoyment and pleasure with it.  One thing's for sure: if you love clams, you'll find countless ways to enjoy them here on the CT shoreline, and chowder is just one of the wonderful ways to sample their pleasures.

No comments: